Old Fourah Bay College

Unknown
This building is situated on Ross Road, Clinetown. It is a massive four-storey structure, built of dressed stone blocks of laterite. Building operations started in 1845 and the building was completed in 1848. Sierra Leone’s first coloured Governor, Staff Sergeant Major William Fergusson, laid the foundation stone. It housed the Christian Institution, which in 1876, developed into the first University College in Black Africa. It was in regular use till the second World War, when the college was transferred to Mabang in the then Protectorate. It is now one of the 10 oldest universities in Africa. Proclaimed a National Monument the building was used as headquarters of the Sierra Leone Government Railway. At present it is used as a Magistrate Court. More information on: http://www.sierraleoneheritage.org
Venue Details