When Sir Charles MacCarthy took over the Governorship of the Colony, there were very few stone buildings in Freetown, public or private. He started erecting public buildings constructed with stones; for example, a magnificent commissariat building was put up at the Government Wharf. He had the whole wharf rebuilt with stone breakwaters. He also ordered that a flight of stone steps be constructed. This was completed in 1818.
More information on: http://www.sierraleoneheritage.org
Share This Venue